The Oliver Schroeder Prize
Schroeder Prize Purpose
The Schroeder Prize is sponsored by Case Western Reserve University School of Law’s Professional Ethics Center and Law-Medicine Center. It is designed to promote high-quality scholarship at the intersection of health law and ethics.
Schroeder Prize Overview
Case Western Reserve University School of Law invites judges, lawyers, professors, scholars, and other authors to participate in the competition. Please submit an original, unpublished article of 10,000 to 25,000 words on a topic of your choice addressing both health law and ethics. Ethics includes professional ethics and bioethics. Awards are contingent on acceptance of an offer of publication from Health Matrix: The Journal of Law-Medicine.
Schroeder Prize Judges
- Professor Sharona Hoffman Edgar A. Hahn Professor of Law and Professor of Bioethics, Co-Director, Law-Medicine Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Professor Cassandra Burke Robertson John Deaver Drinko--BakerHostetler Professor of Law, Director, Center for Professional Ethics, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Up to two winning authors will receive a cash prize of $500
- Winning articles will be published in Health Matrix: The Journal of Law-Medicine
Schroeder Prize Procedures
- Submit your article to Health Matrix through Scholastica or Expresso
- Indicate in your cover letter that you wish to be considered for the Schroeder Prize
- During the Fall of 2017 submissions will be considered on a rolling basis
If you have questions, contact Sharona Hoffman at email@example.com.
The winning article(s) will be announced on or before September 29.
41ST ANNUAL HEALTH LAW PROFESSORS CONFERENCE
Thursday, June 7 - Saturday, June 9, 2018
The American Society of Law Medicine and Ethics' 41st Annual Health Law Professors Conference, the oldest and largest of its kind, is led by health law educators and faculty new to the field and is intended for professionals who teach law or bioethics in schools of law, medicine, public health, health care administration, pharmacy, nursing, and dentistry. The conference combines presentations by experienced health law teachers with the opportunity for discussion among conference participants. The program is designed to provide participants with updates on issues at the forefront of law and medicine and to provide them with the opportunity to share strategies, ideas, and materials.
The 2018 Health Law Professors conference will take place at Case Western Reserve University’s new state of the art Tinkham Veale University Center and at Case Western Reserve School of Law across the street. Hotels and private shuttles offer attendees a choice of locations at University Circle, home of some of the nation’s greatest museums and the new Uptown arts & entertainment district, or in downtown Cleveland near the lakefront, award winning restaurants, and many other amenities.
Founded in 1953, the Law-Medicine Center is the oldest law school-based center for the study of legal medicine and health law in the United States. This is the third time the Law-Medicine Center has hosted the Health Law Professors Conference. The 2018 conference will reprise two highly-rated features of previous conferences: the Friday evening dinner will be held at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and attendees will be able to watch the exciting Parade the Circle event over lunch on Saturday.